Wednesday 25 March 2015

MAIDEN SPEECH BY THE HON. ELIJAH MEMUSI KANCHORY M.P. KAJIADO CENTRAL

Mr. Speaker I take this early opportunity to thank all of those who made it possible for me to be a member of this August house.

•Today would not have been possible if God had not willed it. The scripture says; “Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labour in vain.” Yes, we labored, but not in vain because the Lord is on our side.

•So, to God, the Almighty, the owner of time and season, we owe our
debt of gratitude for a day like this.

•I thank the Great people of Kajiado Central who stood up to a
massive barrage of propaganda, crude threats, bribery ,abuse of
power and empty promises but they still voted for the best candidate.
Indeed ours was a victory of the common man against the tyranny of
power.

•To the good people of Kajiado central goes my unflinching gratitude.
We salute your steadfastness, courage, loyalty, commitment and fierce
determination to defend your sovereign rights. You have demonstrated in this election that in a democracy, power truly belongs to the people. I am humbled and honored by your trust and abiding faith in me and my party. I pledge that your confidence in us shall never be betrayed or taken for granted.

•My heart goes out to the youth and women of Kajiado central who
irrespective of tribe, religion and social class voted overwhelmingly for
change. I shall forever remain indebted to you for your selfless
sacrifice. I assure you that I will work tirelessly to positively transform
your lives in the 2 years before the next election.

•The outcome of this election, once again, shows the unswerving
determination of our people to ensure that democracy triumphs in
Kenya. We have sent a strong signal to all and sundry that no might is
powerful enough to thwart the will of the people. This should always
strengthen our resolve to ensure that as from now on, every vote must
not only be counted but must count in this country. Nobody or party
must ever exercise power unreasonably at any level except in
accordance with the will of the people to whom sovereignty belongs.

•I pay particular tribute to the CORD fraternity led by the 3 principals.

•I salute The Rt. Hon. Raila Odinga, a man who has given 4 decades of
his life to the selfless struggle for freedom democracy equity and
justice. Mr. Odinga has overcome immense challenges and made
enormous personal sacrifices so that Kenya can be progressive,
prosperous and democratic. Mr. Odinga brought his charisma and
oratory prowess to Kajiado Central. Indeed I now know why he is
referred to as the enigma of Kenyan politics. I ask God to bless him
for all this.

•I pay tribute to His Excellency Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka a man who
exemplifies servant leadership and principled politics. I had occasion
to witness first hand his silent but steadfast commitment to principled
politics during the campaign. I also learnt a lot from the man who is
Kenya’s most accomplished diplomat who brought peace to Sudan
and Somalia. I thank him.

•I commend the Hon. Moses Masika Wetangula a steadfast and
selfless voice for equality. His courage and energy on the campaign
trail was exemplary.

•I must at this point congratulate the CORD campaign committee in
charge of my reelection. It was headed by Hon. Junet Mohammed a
fearless man who stood by me all the way, a man whose hawkeyed
watch ensured that those engaging in electoral malpractices were
arrested, a man who helped to reduce all avenues of digital rigging.
God bless you Hon Junet.

•I thank the treasurer of the CORD election committee, Dr. Evans
Kidero.His solid input and sound advice was very helpful.
•To my Governor David Nkedianye I salute you for your selfless
support. We will walk together to develop Kajiado and take it to even
greater heights.

•Mr. Speaker I thank the members of the CORD coalition who
supported me both materially and morally. Your presence before
during and after the election day was crucial to my victory. Words
cannot express my gratitude to the over 100 MP’s who left their
personal and professional engagements to campaign for me.
•Mr. Speaker I must Salute the support received from all Kenyans I
have received messages of goodwill from all corners of this country
from Lamu to Lokituang from Mumias to Mandera. I thank them I will
not let you down.

•To the members of the Maa community from as far off as Samburu
and Laikipia in the North to Narok and Arusha in the west they have
affirmed that we are a proud people who are not visitors in Kenya. We
seek to work with all Kenyans based on mutual respect and
recognition that we are masters of our own destiny we are not an
experimental ground for ideologically bankrupt parties.

I particularly recognize the efforts of the respected and visionary Maasai leader The Hon. William Ronkorua Ole Ntimama his support was much appreciated. It sent a crucial message to those who have abandonednour African culture which respects age and the elderly; it was a decisive blow on those who had the temerity to refer to Hon. Ntimama as Vasco da Gama. They now know that Ntimama still retains clout and respect. I urge them to go to Narok and seek his forgiveness before it is too late.

•As I embark on my parliamentary duties let me recognize that
democracy in Kenya cannot survive without CDF. We now see
wananchi who are not intimidated by the tyranny of power because
resources are devolved both to counties and to constituencies. The
abolition of CDF cannot be allowed to happen if we want to safeguard
democracy.

•Mr. Speaker as I embark on my parliamentary career I would like to
say that we all know of unfounded and yet to be proven allegations of
corruption and malfeasance that hang over this house. I urge
members that we should all emulate the people of Kajiado central who
refused to be swayed by money and coercion and voted with their
conscience. If a humble peasant can refuse thousands of shillings to
sell their birthright to elect a good leader I believe that members of
this house have always and will always behave in a manner above
reproach.

•As all members prepare for the future I urge them to leave a clean
and spotless record of selfless service and prudent management of
public resources.

•I thank you Madam speaker for your attention and giving me this opportunity and look forward to working with your office as embark on my nascent political career.

No comments:

Post a Comment